Nip Pinch Machine Setup, Roller Alignment, and Pressure Distribution
Tekscan tactile pressure sensors are excellent tools for measuring nip profiles, force or pressure variations along a roll axis. The software measures and displays in real-time the static forces in a pinch roll nip. For many large machines, nip contact is adjusted by setting hydraulic pressure at contact units located on the ends of the rollers. In the absence of measurements, the relationship between hydraulic pressure and nip force is assumed to be linear. Drag in the linkage and other sources of hysteresis are not quantified.
Tekscan sensors measure nip force and width at locations along the axis at various hydraulic pressures providing real-time feedback on a PC. The detection of crowning and differences in pressures and contact width along the length of the roll can be documented. These measurements improve costs by reducing machine set-up time, down time and product scrap.
Tekscan’s patented, thin-film, pressure sensors are available in different shapes and pressure ranges, are reusable, and provide accurate pressure data.
Tekscan offers two solutions for nip and roller pressure measurement: I-Scan® and NPMS™.
I-Scan is a versatile solution for optimizing a process or manufacturing parameters. With a wide range of sensor form factors and data analysis tools in the software, I-Scan is a powerful tool for a research and development team to improve yield.
- Ideal for engineering team analysis
- Over 200 sensors to choose from in different shapes and pressure ranges
- Real-time display of pressure sensor data
- Recording & playback of dynamic pressure images
- Fast (100 Hz) sensor scanning
I-Scan System in Use
I-Scan Software Output
NPMS is a packaged solution which provides real-time roller profile status for nip pressure measurement. The convenient housing of the system allows a manufacturing operator to easily make adjustments prior to a production run. A calibrated profile can be saved to the PC as a reference, removing the guesswork out of setup.
- Ideal for measurements performed by production team
- Portable wireless solution that can be moved from place to place around the plant
- Frame capture of pressure distribution
- Easy to manage housing with wireless communication
NPMS System in Use
NPMS Software Output
Nip Pinch Pressure Measurement Applications
- Nip pressure profile
- Identify roller contact pressure
- Determine roller contact area
- Determine nip width
- Before and after adjustment comparison
- Machine to machine comparison
- Validation testing